- A bone cell, formed when an osteoblast becomes embedded in the material it has secreted.More example sentences
- Strain detection in the skeleton is thought to be effected by bone-lining cells and osteocytes embedded within the bone matrix.
- These cells, the osteocytes, have long extensions which pass down an interlocking network of canaliculi in the bone.
- Building new bone is in part a problem of balance: regulating osteocytes, that add bone, and osteoclasts, that break it down.
More definitions of osteocyteDefinition of osteocyte in:
- The US English dictionary