- 1Exclusion from a society or group: the family suffered social ostracismMore example sentences
- Young people with guns do not arouse the suspicions of the state police or incur social ostracism.
- In Egypt, being black is a disadvantage which can lead to ostracism in many spheres of society.
- She adds, "Many students do not speak out for fear of ostracism or retribution."
- 2(In ancient Greece) temporary banishment from a city by popular vote: the ostracism of ThucydidesMore example sentences
- After the ostracism of Thucydides the oligarchic movement went underground and some of the political clubs became centres of revolutionary agitation.