An instrument designed for visual examination of the eardrum and the passage of the outer ear, typically having a light and a set of lenses. Also called auriscope.
- No significant differences were found between the groups in terms of reported symptoms or a physical examination with an otoscope.
- To examine the ear, doctors use an otoscope, a small instrument similar to a flashlight, through which they can see the eardrum.
- Some might carry blood counting equipment or culture media for throat swabs, otoscope, ophthalmoscope, catheters, sterile gloves, sutures, needles, scissors, and other such essentials…
- Example sentences
- Children with otoscopic signs of acute inflammation were eligible for the study if they did not have symptoms of serious disease or a history of significant complications from otitis.
- No significant changes were recorded in the qualitative analysis of tympanometry results and otoscopic observations.
- The predictive ability of tympanometry was lower, however, if the otoscopic examination showed retraction or other signs of effusion, but myringotomy demonstrated the absence of middle ear fluid.
Definition of otoscope in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.