Definition of outrigger in English:
1A beam, spar, or framework projecting from or over a boat’s side.
- To reduce windage, powerboat owners should lower antennas and outriggers.
- The beam is attached to the columns by means of a specially designed clamping system and has two cantilevered outriggers that anchor the top of the tension cables.
- Their ships normally look much like a flattened arrowhead with two round outrigger pods on the sides containing their weapons.
1.1A float or secondary hull fixed parallel to a canoe or small boat to stabilize it.
- Two outrigger hulls provide stability and prevent the boat from capsizing.
- Their boats are outrigger canoes, and outboard engines are not allowed.
- In 2003, Tim attempted to solo sail from Florida to Cuba in an outrigger canoe.
1.2A boat fitted with an outrigger.
- Children in outriggers surrounded the ship for the better part of the day, making the entire affair seem like a county carnival.
- The fleet consisted of one large fish carrier, a medium purse-seine fishing vessel, three medium sized boats and four ocean going outriggers.
- Ted, a tall, brown tree-trunk of a man, raced outriggers for more than 30 years.
1.3A projecting support similar to an outrigger in another structure or vehicle.
- The machine consisted of the fuselage of a small biplane with two outriggers supporting to engines.
- Unlike the base vehicle, the outriggers stayed steady and well above the track surface, plus the truck drifted slightly at the apogee of each directional change.
- Removable outrigger gear located away from the fuselage centreline is used to lighten the weight of the airborne aircraft.
mid 18th century: perhaps influenced by the obsolete nautical term outligger, in the same sense.
- Example sentences
- ‘The Scouts are quite proficient but I am keen to see them handling the local outrigged log canoes during the trip,’ he said.
Words that rhyme with outriggerMinnesinger
Definition of outrigger in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan