noun (plural ovaries)
- 1A female reproductive organ in which ova or eggs are produced, present in humans and other vertebrates as a pair.More example sentences
- The remaining uterus, cervix, ovaries, and fallopian tubes were otherwise unremarkable.
- No other abnormalities were detected in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.
- Steroids are produced by the cortex or outer layer of the adrenal gland and by the ovaries and testes.
- 1.1 Botany The hollow base of the carpel of a flower, containing one or more ovules.More example sentences
- Each carpel has a terminal stigma and a basal ovary with a single ovule.
- Many possess, at the base of the ovary, a disc-like nectary from which nectar is secreted via modified stomata.
- If both of the ovaries in a flower contained pollen tubes a mean value was used in the analyses.
mid 17th century: from modern Latin ovarium, from Latin ovum 'egg'.
More definitions of ovaryDefinition of ovary in:
- The US English dictionary