Pronunciation: /ˈəʊvərɔːl /[attributive]
- Taking everything into account: the governors and head have overall responsibility for managing the school the overall effect is impressiveMore example sentences
- The Montreal-based body has overall responsibility for global drug testing.
- The details may be small, but the overall effect is one of everything being exactly where it should be.
- He will also address the general outlook for the overall industry within the country.
Pronunciation: /əʊvərˈɔːl /[sentence adverb] Back to top
- Taken as a whole; in all: overall, 10,000 jobs will goMore example sentences
- The sauce, though, was excellent, and overall the whole dish just about passed muster.
- But overall the car seems quite good and I think we are in good shape again for the race.
- Athletics and Cricket were in the summer, which meant overall we did mainly did four sets of sport.
Pronunciation: /ˈəʊvərɔːl /(usually overalls) British Back to top
- 1A loose-fitting coat or one-piece garment worn, typically over ordinary clothes, for protection against dirt or heavy wear: men in grubby blue overalls a pair of overallsMore example sentences
- When he had done, his mug empty, he went to his wardrobe where he pulled out a clean pair of underpants and a blue overall.
- A man wearing an orange overall was sweeping the street while others were running.
- The picture of men paint spraying in their ordinary clothes, rather than wearing protective overalls and without protective face masks, says it all.
- 1.1 (overalls) British Close-fitting trousers formerly worn as part of an army uniform, now only on ceremonial or formal occasions.More example sentences
- It replaces shirts and overalls with more practical roll-neck jumpers and combat-style trousers with large pockets.
- There is a column of war invalids, and many are wearing white overalls as if to bring the idea of militarized science into view.
- 1.2North American Dungarees.More example sentences
- My green overalls and green shirt with my red jean jacket were my choice for today.
- Dress suitable for agriculture such as overalls, shirts, and boots is popular.
- Its 200 highly trained members dress in white overalls, padded clothing and crash helmets to protect themselves against police batons and shields.
- More example sentences
- White overalled technicians walk amongst fully body-suited men in masks, who are handling more dangerous looking equipment and substances.
- In the darkened operations room below decks, grey overalled officers and sailors watched an approaching blip on their radar screens.
- Just inside the gates, an overalled gardener with a gentle face is poking insincerely at the dripping rhododendrons with a pair of secateurs.