Pronunciation: /əʊvəˈweɪt /
- 1Above a weight considered normal or desirable: she was a stone overweightMore example sentences
fat, obese, stout, corpulent, gross, fleshy, plump, portly, chubby, rotund, podgy, roly-poly, paunchy, pot-bellied, beer-bellied, bloated, flabby, Falstaffian, big, large, ample, well fed, well upholstered, well padded, broad in the beam, bulky, outsize, massive, heavyBritish • informal fubsyNorth American • informal lard-assed• archaic pursy• rare abdominous
- If overweight, her desirable weight gain is significantly less, about 15 to 25 pounds.
- Balance caloric intake with physical activity and lose weight if currently overweight or obese.
- In sharp contrast, her junk-food-eating brother who loves hamburgers is massively overweight and so are her mother and father.
- 1.1Above an allowed weight: an overweight lorryMore example sentences
- Despite police monitoring the number of overweight lorries using the B3080 when the restriction was introduced, some have not stopped flouting the rules.
- One elderly woman has launched her own campaign for a CCTV camera crackdown on overweight lorries illegally passing through the town centre.
- Five drivers were reported for allegedly having overweight lorries, and received immediate prohibition notices.
Pronunciation: /ˈəʊvəweɪt /[mass noun] Back to top
- Excessive or extra weight: surgical procedures for overweightMore example sentences
- Only two other comparable studies have examined later adult risk in relation to both childhood and adult overweight, and these used body mass index as a measure of obesity at both ages.
- Growth charts, ideal body weight, and body mass index were mostly used to assess and monitor overweight.
- Most people associate extreme overweight with extreme forms of the same behaviors as those that make the rest of us gain weight - eating too much and not moving.
Pronunciation: /əʊvəˈweɪt /[with object] (usually as adjective overweighted) Back to top
- Put too much weight on; overload: he toppled back like an overweighted mannequinMore example sentences
- Wallowing in the aftermath of such bereavements, she overweights her plots with aching losses.
- Conversely, the overweighted ball is generally used to enhance shoulder strength and power.
- A while back I discussed how the powers that be will do ‘whatever it takes’ to keep this overweighted barge afloat.