Definition of oxidation in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
The process or result of oxidizing or being oxidized.
- The silver metal gives up some of its electrons and forms silver sulfide in a process called oxidation.
- On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.
- Elemental bromine is made by oxidation, removal of electrons from bromide ions in brine.
- Example sentences
- AITiN has a higher aluminum content than the TiAIN coating, which is said to result in a coating with higher hardness that increases hot hardness and the oxidational stability of the coating.
- Oxidational wear of tin coatings on tool steel and nitrided tool steel in unlubricated fretting.
Late 18th century: from French (modern French oxydation), from oxider 'oxidize'.
Definition of oxidation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.