- A binary compound of oxygen with another element or group: nitrogen oxideMore example sentences
- Nitrates are formed from reacting nitric acid with metal oxides, hydroxides, or carbonates.
- Exhaust from the automobile can contain carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, which are poisonous gases.
- It would set new caps for nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and mercury.
late 18th century: from French, from oxygène 'oxygen' + -ide (as in acide 'acid').
More definitions of oxideDefinition of oxide in:
- The US English dictionary