Definition of paedomorphosis in English:
- Facultative paedomorphosis occurs in most species, though individuals in these species usually metamorphose fully into terrestrial adults with robust bodies and limbs, broad heads, and laterally-flattened tails.
- Germ layers, homology, larval evolution, larval origins of the vertebrates, paedomorphosis and heterochrony underpinned the origins of evolutionary embryology, and so I discuss each of these topics.
- By comparison to other squamates, this morphology indicates skeletal paedomorphosis that is common in secondarily marine reptiles.
- Example sentences
- These extremely paedomorphic crinoids lacked arms, which conduct the feeding in normal crinoids.
- Amphiumas are elongate, paedomorphic, aquatic salamanders that superficially resemble the primitive sirens (Sirenidae).
- The orthaceans again have a fibrous secondary shell and are presumed to have arisen from some nisuisid stock, possibly by paedomorphic changes affecting pedicle development in particular.
Definition of paedomorphosis in:
- US English dictionary