1A chronic disease of elderly people characterized by alteration of bone tissue, especially in the spine, skull, or pelvis, sometimes causing severe pain; osteitis deformans.
- Patients with bone pain caused by Paget's disease usually describe the pain as continuous.
- Conditions such as an uncorrected fracture of the shin bone, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or Paget's disease can distort the ends of the bones and cause knock knee in adults.
- It is indicated for the treatment of osteoporosis in post-menopausal women and the treatment of Paget's disease of bone.
2An inflammation of the nipple associated with breast cancer.
- A prolonged rash or irritation of the nipple may indicate a special kind of breast cancer called Paget's disease, which specifically affects the nipple.
- The rash might have been eczema or dermatitis, but its location made me worry about Paget's disease of the breast.
- A rash, redness, scaliness around the nipple or itching that lasts several weeks could also be a sign of eczema or Paget's disease, a rare form of breast cancer.
Late 19th century: named after Sir James Paget (1814–99), English surgeon.
Definition of Paget's disease in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.