Definition of paling in English:
1A fence made from pointed wooden or metal posts.
- The post and wire fence at the end of the road needed attention - in the long term, a hedge, wooden paling or stone wall would be attractive if a replacement is considered.
- By employing wooden palings, building channels to divert rainwater and cultivating indigenous vegetation, the engineers claim to have demonstrated that Mother Nature can be nursed with ‘ecological therapy.’
- We cross the threshold of the paling, pass beyond the encircling reach of timber walls.
1.1A post used in a paling.
- The house, approached by a set of steps, stands behind a fence with iron palings and brick columns flanking an ‘eyeglass’ gate.
- Some were working outside a thick palisade of wooden palings which ran circling outside the buildings.
- Many of the stores have a courtyard at the back and a look through the dusty wooden palings of the doors reveals the street to be almost like a business convention some of the time.
Words that rhyme with palingfailing, grayling, mailing, railing, sailing, tailing, unavailing, veiling, wailing
Definition of paling in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.