Definition of pan-Indian in English:
1Relating to the whole of India, or to all its ethnic, religious, or linguistic groups.
- But the richness of the experience and the authentic Bengali touch has now given way to ‘catered’ banquets that serve over-spiced and greasy fare that is vaguely pan-Indian in form and very un-Indian in taste.
- ‘There's only now becoming a more pan-Indian sense of what Native food can be.’
- The legendary Jiggs Kalra and the doyen of Ayurvedic food, Pushpesh Pant, have launched Moksh, the first pan-Indian vegetarian restaurant, with a live interactive kitchen, at The Chancery on Lavelle Road.
2Denoting or relating to a cultural movement or religious practice participated in by many or all American Indian peoples.
- No Cherokee social dances have survived, but some Cherokees have joined in the pan-Indian practice of powwow dancing.
- Hook notes that this pan-Indian approach to cultural renewal is not unique to the Alabama-Coushattas.
- While the urban Indian experience fostered a pan-Indian identity and led to a number of political movements, it was not immune from tension.
Definition of pan-Indian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.