(also giant panda)
A large bear-like mammal with characteristic black-and-white markings, native to certain mountain forests in China. It feeds almost entirely on bamboo and has become increasingly rare. See also red panda.
- Ailuropoda melanoleuca; it is now usually placed with the bears (family Ursidae), but was formerly thought to belong with the raccoons (family Procyonidae)
- Feeding mostly on bamboo, fruits, and insects, the pandas are native to mountains in China and the Himalaya - where they are better known for skittering up trees than standing at attention.
- In the wild, about 1,600 pandas roam forests scattered across six mountain ranges in southwestern China.
- This means there could be many more pandas throughout China than previously estimated.
Mid 19th century: from Nepali.
Words that rhyme with pandaAmanda, Aranda, Baganda, Banda, brander, candour (US candor), coriander, dander, expander, gander, germander, goosander, jacaranda, Leander, Luanda, Lysander, meander, memoranda, Menander, Miranda, oleander, pander, pasanda, philander, propaganda, Rwanda, sander, Skanda, stander, Uganda, understander, Vanda, veranda, withstander, zander
A Brahmin expert in genealogy, who provides religious guidance and acts as a family priest.
- Here, ancestral Brahmin priests - or pandas - give blessings with holy water and fill in records of family genealogies.
- Innumerable pandas and pujaris await the pilgrims to help them with their worship.
- Here these pandas and pujaris control everything in and around the temples and cause serious harm to the devotees congregating at the temples.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.