noun (plural papiers collés pronunc. same)[mass noun]
- 1The technique of using paper for collage.More example sentences
- In 1912 Braque and Picasso began to introduce collage and papier collé: this lent a clearer, if schematic, system of reference into a style which had become increasingly abstract.
- Gris too made extensive use of papier collé, and Matisse's use of cut-out paper shapes in his late work is a development of the technique.
- 1.1 [count noun] A collage made from paper.More example sentences
- As defined by the Cubists, the papier collé had limited the artist's role to arranging elements; Arp went even further and eliminated the traditional "artistic" notion of arranging forms in relation to each other.
- In Braque's and Picasso's very first papiers collés, shading stops being pointillist and suddenly becomes broad and incisive again.
French, literally 'glued paper'.
More definitions of papier colléDefinition of papier collé in:
- The US English dictionary