noun (plural paracenteses /-siːz/)[mass noun] Medicine
- The perforation of a cavity of the body or of a cyst or similar outgrowth, especially with a hollow needle to remove fluid or gas.More example sentences
- Patients with new-onset ascites or clinical deterioration should undergo paracentesis.
- A paracentesis done upon admission to the hospital was negative for tumor cells.
- In patients with cirrhosis, ascites is treated with paracentesis and spironolactone.
late 16th century: via Latin from Greek parakentēsis, from parakentein 'pierce at the side'.
More definitions of paracentesisDefinition of paracentesis in:
- The US English dictionary