- But now Christ has died and risen again - to open for believers the door into the paradise of heaven.
- This direct experience of joy and love for all things is the paradise or heaven of all the religions.
- To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.
- I shall never experience Nirvana: Paradise; or the Garden of Eden; name it how you will.
- No where in the Bible or Torah does it say that the Garden of Eden was destroyed after the Banishment from Paradise.
- It took only one sin for Adam and Eve to be put out of Paradise.
- His naivety was so deep that he was able to create a paradise of enchanted magic.
- Most were small and green, and I could almost imagine the tropical paradises.
- Of course, modern Canadian cruises aren't like Mexican ones where you go to island paradises.
(also paradisaical /parədɪˈseɪɪk(ə)l/ or paradisical /parəˈdɪsɪk(ə)l/) adjective
- Example sentences
- In order to reap the rewards of the paradisiacal cove you have to climb over three red granite peaks, alarmingly enough called the Hazards.
- But its paradisiacal landscape and climate still lure more intrepid travellers.
- These dream-like melodies paint a picture of a paradisiacal idyll - and in dreams our lost paradise can be regained.
Middle English: from Old French paradis, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek paradeisos 'royal (enclosed) park', from Avestan pairidaēza 'enclosure, park'.
Paradise goes back to the ancient Iranian language Avestan, in which the sacred texts of the Zoroastrian religion were written in the 4th century ad. Pairidaēza then meant ‘an enclosure, park’. Via Greek paradeisos ‘royal (enclosed) park’ it was then used in the sense paradise in the Greek translation of the Bible, and through Latin entered Old English, where it meant ‘the Garden of Eden’ before coming to refer to the heaven of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: para|dise
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.