Definition of parameter in English:
1 technical A numerical or other measurable factor forming one of a set that defines a system or sets the conditions of its operation: there are three parameters by which a speaker is able to modify the meaning of the utterance—pitch, volume, and tempo
More example sentences
- The programming uses script files that contain specific system parameters to operate in each of these modes.
- The set of code modules includes code modules associated with a plurality of system configuration parameters.
- Now we need to optimize the system and improve its operation parameters and design.
1.1 Mathematics A quantity whose value is selected for the particular circumstances and in relation to which other variable quantities may be expressed.
- As gene diversity is a continuous variable, the expected value of the parameter was calculated using a sliding window of 0.0125.
- Choosing different values for the various parameters in the equation he then tried to investigate when situations were stable and when they were unstable.
- The real effort goes into testing these hypotheses and calculating the true values of parameters such as N.
1.2 Statistics A numerical characteristic of a population, as distinct from a statistic of a sample.
- Such a ‘rate’ can be modeled statistically by the probability parameter of a binomial distribution.
- The spiral pattern is sufficiently regular that it leads to a numerical parameter characteristic for the species, called its divergence.
- Typically, polymorphism in a sample is needed to perform those tests and estimate population parameters.
2A limit or boundary which defines the scope of a particular process or activity: the parameters within which the media work
More example sentences
- First, I do not accept the framework you outline above as limiting the parameters of our debate.
- However, I can't get away from the fact that my guiding parameters are somewhat limited by my lack of motoring knowledge.
- One of the main benefits of a home birth is the amount of control a mother can exercise over the location and parameters of the birthing process.
Words that rhyme with parameterdiameter, heptameter, hexameter, pentameter, tetrameter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan