Definition of parenthetical in English:
Relating to or inserted as a parenthesis: parenthetical remarks
More example sentences
- The inclusion of a parenthetical clause, as in this case, would not normally alter the meaning of the provision into which it is inserted though what is required to satisfy it may well be different.
- Providing parenthetical information or explanatory footnotes on those not discussed in the introductions might have been more helpful than relegating the information to the index.
- For Avison, at this stage of her career and life, it appears only as a parenthetical insertion, a possibility.
late 18th century: from parenthesis, on the pattern of pairs such as synthesis, synthetic.
- Example sentences
- This was clearly not my primary concern and was mentioned only parenthetically in the last paragraph of my letter.
- In this collection of old, new, and revised essays, he mentions gender considerations or feminism and feminist scholarship only parenthetically and intermittently.
- The relative importance values are shown parenthetically in Table 4.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan