- Relating to, situated near, or affecting a parotid gland: the parotid ductMore example sentences
- The right parotid duct is grazed in this cut.
- Plain radiograph films may show air in the soft tissue and may even outline the course of the parotid duct.
- The patient should be examined for evidence of other causes of lower facial weakness such as intracranial or parotid lesions or Lyme disease.
nounBack to top
- short for parotid gland.More example sentences
- In rare cases, mumps will attack other groups of salivary glands instead of the parotids.
- The parotids were firm, nontender, and enlarged, especially the left side obscuring the mandibular angle.
- Bilateral slow-growing enlargement of the parotids is a classic, but not common, finding in sarcoidosis.
late 17th century: via Latin from Greek parōtis, parōtid-, from para- 'beside' + ous, ōt- 'ear'.
More definitions of parotidDefinition of parotid in:
- The US English dictionary