- 1A track that constitutes or serves as a path: a tree-lined pathway the crags and cornices of the mountainous pathwaysMore example sentences
- Like the other known sections of the aqueduct system, it is covered with stone slabs, which would have served as a pathway for foot passengers.
- This meant that it no longer served as our pathway through the forest, and we needs must walk slowly, zigzagging through the birches and alders.
- The floor of the tunnel was made of solitary stones, which were put together to serve as a pathway to someplace.
- 1.1A way of achieving a specified result; a course of action: research has indisputably been part of the pathway to progressMore example sentences
- GNVQ courses offer an alternative pathway through sixth form and on to higher education from the more traditional 3 A levels.
- A common form of language was projected as the pathway to progress and civilization.
- For those who choose to make peace and inner contentment a reality in their lives, he offers a practical pathway.
- 1.2 Physiology A route, formed by a chain of nerve cells, along which impulses of a particular kind usually travel: these neural pathways control vocalizationMore example sentences
- Abdominal pain has the unusual ability to travel along deep nerve pathways and emerge at sites away from the source of the problem.
- Incoming data from our senses travel on these neural pathways on the way to interpretation in the brain.
- Our learning is the result of continued activity along neural pathways via the senses.
- 1.3 (also metabolic pathway) Biochemistry A sequence of chemical reactions undergone by a compound or class of compounds in a living organism: enzymes of the glycolytic pathway the principal regulatory step in the biosynthetic pathway of cholesterolMore example sentences
- The liver exclusively synthesizes bile acids from cholesterol via two biosynthetic pathways.
- The number of biochemical pathways and associated compounds has been estimated at well in excess of 100,000.
- The brain is a physical entity filled with cells that interact chemically via biochemical pathways.
More definitions of pathwayDefinition of pathway in:
- The US English dictionary