- 1A large edible abalone (mollusc).More example sentences
- The rocks there abound with crayfish, paua, mussels, kina, maomao and snapper.
- Some people go diving and catch crayfish and occasionally paua.
- Wild pigs, crayfish and paua were plentiful and used to supplement the food supply.
- 1.1The shell of the paua, used to make jewellery, ornaments, etc..More example sentences
- One strikingly beautiful gown is made of bubble wrap and organza, and another pairs paua shells and feathers.
- The Maori elements are to be found in the bands of symmetrically ordered paua shell inlay, a customary ceremonial and artistic material.
- They were made by her brothers and sisters with paua and handmade paper.
mid 19th century: from Maori.
More definitions of pauaDefinition of paua in:
- The US English dictionary