Definition of pavement in English:
1A raised paved or asphalted path for pedestrians at the side of a road: he fell and hit his head on the pavement [as modifier]: a pavement cafe
More example sentences
- Parents say crossing the road to use the pavement on the other side is just as dangerous due to the steady stream of farm vehicles, trucks and commuter traffic.
- In the civil law if a driver goes off the road on to the pavement and injures a pedestrian, or damages property, he is prima facie liable.
- A huge amount of litter and other rubbish is being removed from the pavements and road sides each Saturday morning and Wednesday evening.
1.1Any paved area or surface: the pavements and columns of these ancient ruins provided the material for more recent structures
More example sentences
- A common demand by the residents of the Lake Area is that the pavement around the monument be cleared of encroachments and hawkers.
- Many live off petty trade, selling goods on the pavement in the market area.
- Why not break up the tiles and make them into a mosaic for either the pavement around the area or even incorporated into some other city centre venue.
1.2 [mass noun] North American The hard surface of a road or street.
- If John hadn't been holding onto her, she would have crashed painfully to the hard pavement of the street below her feet.
- More than one third agreed improvements needed to be made to road and pavement repairs and street cleaning.
- It was nothing but quiet traces of oldies on the radio and the sound of cars flying past each other on hard pavement.
1.3 Geology A horizontal expanse of bare rock or cemented fragments.
- Early that afternoon I walked over to the outcrop and climbed up onto the flat pavements of exposed rock.
- At the northern margin carbonate was produced at the outer platform in bivalve banks and at the platform edge in rhodolith pavements.
- Bivalves extensively colonized the outer platform, and rhodolith pavements covered its edge.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan