noun (plural same or Pawnees)
1A member of an American Indian confederacy formerly living in Nebraska, and now mainly in Oklahoma.
- Trained as a scientist, not a moralist, Grinnell logged the words, actions, practices, history, and religious beliefs of Blackfeet, Pawnees, and Cheyennes as accurately and faithfully as possible.
- Since I was young, the Pawnees and the Comanches have been enemies.
- Of the Kansas Indians, there were the Kaws and Pawnees and still others.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Pawnee, belonging to the Caddoan family and now almost extinct.
- The Caddoan language family includes the Caddo, Wichita, Pawnee, and Arikara languages, which are found on the central Plains.
Relating to the Pawnee or their language.
- His vivid portrayals of Huron, Apache and Pawnee warriors make history come alive.
- Indeed, the military force protecting the railroad builders included a troop of Pawnee scouts, who were highly regarded.
- He initially printed Pawnee stories in the pages of his own magazine and then collected them in book form.
From Canadian French Pani, from a North American Indian language.
Words that rhyme with Pawneeabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Paw¦nee
Definition of Pawnee in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.