- 1Free from disturbance; tranquil: his peaceful mood vanishedMore example sentences
tranquil, calm, restful, pleasant, quiet, still, relaxing, soothing, sleepy, silent, soundless, hushed, noiseless, undisturbed, untroubled, private, secluded, solitary, isolated, free from disturbance/interruption/interferenceserene, calm, tranquil, composed, placid, at peace, at rest, at ease, in repose, reposeful, undisturbed, untroubled, unworried, unruffled, anxiety-free, content, blissful, secure
- Election officials reported that balloting was peaceful and largely free of problems.
- The peaceful and tranquil room will be used by students in the school who are taking part in the programme.
- Free speech and open discussion are crucial components of a free and peaceful society.
- 2Not involving war or violence: a soldier was shot at an otherwise peaceful demonstrationMore example sentences
- Militant anarchists intent on violence broke away from peaceful demonstrators and left a trail of destruction.
- He said his party is against all sort of violence and demands the peaceful resolution to the issue.
- Also, I think people did respond to police violence against peaceful protests.
- 2.1(Of a person) inclined to avoid conflict: Dad was a peaceful, law-abiding citizenMore example sentences
- The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful citizens who contribute to the good of their societies.
- It's amazing how the mob mentality took over thousands of normally peaceful people.
- Is it vent of rage against many peaceful people who have done nothing to him?
- More example sentences
- I happen to be one of those women for whom pregnancy has brought a welcome calm and relative peacefulness.
- I would like to enjoy the tranquility and peacefulness before it is broken by the sounds of daily life.
- Occasionally I come across someone who has an extraordinary inner serenity, a real stillness and peacefulness.