- The island's 3,700 acres of tropical rainforest are a biological reserve that also includes five surrounding peninsulas on the Panama mainland.
- In mid-winter, the warm water around the Southwest peninsula seems to give them most lightning.
- Just before we descend to the car park, I look out at the bay and a long peninsula of land pointing towards the East.
mid 16th century: from Latin paeninsula, from paene 'almost' + insula 'island'.
The spelling of the noun as peninsular instead of peninsula is a common mistake. The spelling peninsula should be used when a noun is intended ( the end of the Cape Peninsula), whereas peninsular is the spelling of the adjective ( the peninsular part of Malaysia).
- More example sentences
- The climate ranges from tropical and sub-tropical in Indo-Gengetic plains and peninsular regions to temperate and arctic in the Himalayan region.
- In contrast, maintaining an Asian balance of power requires performing the simpler task of keeping offshore and peninsular Asia outside a continental hegemon's grasp.
- These data are interpreted to indicate a range of habitats from full freshwater, presumably peninsular rivers and springs, to full marine waters.