noun[mass noun] Psychoanalysis
- Supposed envy of the male’s possession of a penis, postulated by Freud to account for some aspects of female behaviour (notably the castration complex) but controversial among modern theorists.More example sentences
- The female phallic stage is not simply and negatively arrested at the level of penis envy, as Freud thought; a daughter may be used just as well as a son by the mother for narcissistic completion.
- It's not too difficult to detect themes about phallic power, penis envy, castration fears, and a miscellaneous collection of heterosexual and homosexual issues.
- There is doubt about penis envy and castration anxieties being the major contributing factor to the development of perversion.
More definitions of penis envyDefinition of penis envy in:
- The US English dictionary