Definition of pentadactyl in English:
(Of a vertebrate limb) having five toes or fingers, or derived from such a form, as characteristic of all tetrapods.
- No single mutation can produce a pentadactyl limb of vertebrate type on a Drosophila.
- These morphological facts show that the pentadactyl limb arose after the fin-limb transition and is the product of the canalization of the phenotype of the archaic limbs.
- Others include pentadactyl feet and presence of a clavicle.
- Example sentences
- He pointed out, for example, that the developmental genetic explanation of the prevalence of pentadactyly assumes tetrapod monophyly.
- This was a very surprising discovery because pentadactyly had been assumed to be the normal condition in ‘early’ tetrapods.
Definition of pentadactyl in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.