- 1(Of a cell or nucleus) containing five homologous sets of chromosomes.More example sentences
- Figure 2E, F, for example, shows a pentaploid cell with 14 chromosomes of the A genome and 21 of the B genome.
- For example, the triploid primary endosperm nucleus of Triticum aestivum has in prophase a DNA content of 6C, while the pentaploid primary endosperm nucleus of Gagea lutea has in prophase a DNA content of 10C.
- DAPI-stained chromosomes of a PMC at metaphase I of the pentaploid S - 41 from the cross H. megalanthus x H. monacanthus.
- 1.1(Of an organism or species) composed of pentaploid cells.More example sentences
- Outbreeding leads to permanent pentaploid organisms, which are matroclinal in characters due to the differential contribution of maternal and paternal genomes.
nounBack to top
- A pentaploid organism, variety, or species.More example sentences
- Intergeneric-interploidy hybridization between Hylocereus species and S. megalanthus yielded triploids, pentaploids, hexaploids, and aneuploid hybrids.
- The diploid, the triploid and the pentaploid hybrids tested had the expected number of two, three and five rDNA hybridization sites, respectively.
- The reciprocal cross in which tetraploid PAX was used as the seed parent produced only pentaploid offspring, indicating that PAX produced unreduced egg cells that were fertilized (P. J. VAN DIJK, unpublished data).
More definitions of pentaploidDefinition of pentaploid in:
- The US English dictionary