2Relating to or denoting any of a number of Christian movements emphasizing baptism in the Holy Spirit, evidenced by ‘speaking in tongues’, prophecy, healing, and exorcism.
With reference to the baptism in the Holy Spirit at the first Pentecost (Acts 2:9-11)
- Arminian Baptists, Brethren and Pentecostal churches have preached the gospel of Christ within their own limited understanding.
- No one is suggesting that Catholics stop referring to the Anglican, Lutheran and Pentecostal churches.
- She was a young Pentecostal Christian from the Ukraine who had been brought to America as a child in the 1980s to escape Communist oppression.
A member of a Pentecostal movement.
- Of course, this may reflect the relative paucity of written prayer among ‘lower church’ evangelicals and Pentecostals.
- Members of fundamentalist churches, Mormons, and Pentecostals commonly exhibit a stronger missionary thrust than Catholics.
- And really, the Pentecostals and the evangelical Protestants in South America are making tremendously powerful, huge inroads into Catholic populations in cities.
- Example sentences
- To begin with, at one level, it is arguable that both evangelicalism and Pentecostalism have origins in North America during the first half of the twentieth century.
- The plurality of roots feeding both Pentecostalism and evangelicalism explains, at least in part, the diversity of both movements today.
- Here, again, comparisons and contrasts between Pentecostalism and evangelicalism are evident.
- Example sentences
- The authors also, laudably, give space to Evangelicals, Pentecostalists, and modern Native Christian traditions.
- The Baptists and Pentecostalists have pretty well held their own and the ‘new churches’ have grown over the same period from 64,000 to 230,000.
- According to the World Christian Encyclopedia, Pentecostalists have grown, in one century, from zero to 524 million worldwide.
Words that rhyme with Pentecostalhostel, intercostal
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Pente|cos¦tal
Definition of Pentecostal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.