Definition of percentile in English:
1Each of the 100 equal groups into which a population can be divided according to the distribution of values of a particular variable.
- The terms tercile, quartile, quintile and decile should refer to the percentiles which divide the distribution into 3, 4, 5, or 10 equal parts, respectively.
- Comparison of population percentiles requires an adequate amount of data for statistical significance.
- We performed 10000 iterations and calculated the probability of obtaining the observed or a more extreme degree of homogeneity in the sign of effect size from the percentiles of the distribution of the results of the 10000 iterations.
1.1Each of the 99 intermediate values of a random variable which divide a frequency distribution into 100 such groups: the tenth percentile for weight she passed the state board exam in the top percentile
More example sentences
- Comparing the top and bottom tenth percentiles, there was more than an eightfold difference in the proportion of patients monitored every 3 months and more than a twofold difference in the proportion of patients monitored every 6 months.
- Bars above histograms indicate the 1st, 5th, 95th, and 99th percentiles of the cumulative frequency distribution.
- Then we divide the income of the household at the ninetieth percentile by the income of the household at the tenth percentile.
Words that rhyme with percentilegentile
Definition of percentile in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia