(Especially of a slight movement or change of state) able to be seen or noticed: a perceptible decline in public confidence
More example sentences
- By observances I mean the tiny perceptible changes in the season, the shadows and mist, the leaves and air.
- The piece slows symphonic time so that movement is barely perceptible.
- These efforts have brought about a perceptible change in the quality of these libraries.
noticeable, perceivable, detectable, discernible;
appreciable, visible, observable, recognizable;
obvious, evident, manifest, patent, clear, distinct, plain, overt, conspicuous, distinguishable, unmistakable, unconcealed, transparent, apparent;
significant, measurable, tangible, palpable
- Example sentences
- But nothing in this story is entirely clear; his unhappiness, his decision to leave, his feelings about Venice and about being away from his family - they are on the vanishing point of perceptibility.
- As she has convincingly argued, this move is a necessary one if we are to understand not only contemporary perception but also critical perceptibility.
- If television is the box that cuts viewers off from the outside world - as he maintains in the following interview - the hope is that perceptibility is not completely lost.
- Example sentences
- Our position as voyeurs in the ill-fated lives of the Smith family is like watching a train wreck: it's mesmerizing in its power, but you're unchanged when it's over - except your shock threshold moves perceptibly outward.
- ‘The burden of sin and guilt and the fear of hell vanished from my mind, as perceptibly as an hundred pounds weight falling from a man's shoulder,’ he remembered.
- The market's appetite for risk has changed perceptibly in the last two to three weeks.
Late Middle English: from late Latin perceptibilis, from Latin percipere 'seize, understand' (see perceive).
Words that rhyme with perceptibleimperceptible, susceptible
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: per|cep¦tible
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.