- A defendant’s or lawyer’s objection to a proposed juror, made without needing to give a reason: attorneys used their peremptory challenges to exclude jurors based on the crudest racial stereotypes [mass noun]: the extent of peremptory challengeMore example sentences
- When an attorney exercises peremptory challenges, she uses her discretion to reject potential jurors who are not, objectively speaking, objectionable.
- Other than the preliminary vetting by the trial judge, there is a challenge for cause, peremptory challenges and the oath of the juror.
- There is no limit as to how many jurors can be removed under this cause, but peremptory challenges has a definite number that a lawyer may use.
More definitions of peremptory challengeDefinition of peremptory challenge in:
- The US English dictionary