- An arched structure in a garden or park consisting of a framework covered with climbing or trailing plants.More example sentences
- Let it climb a tree in a wild garden or cover a pergola or hide a chain-link fence.
- In the extensive grounds are terraced lawns, stonework with feature arches, rose-covered pergolas, a kitchen garden, woodland walks, a stone-built pavilion, greenhouses and even a tennis court.
- Raise new plants from seeds or cuttings, and by layering, and provide support with trellises, pergolas and other structures.
mid 17th century: from Italian, from Latin pergula 'projecting roof', from pergere 'come or go forward'.
More definitions of pergolaDefinition of pergola in:
- The US English dictionary