- The outer part of a flower, consisting of the calyx (sepals) and corolla (petals).More example sentences
- Importantly, organs of the two outermost whorls of lily flower are very similar, generating a perianth of tepals, instead of sepals and petals.
- Members of Atripliceae are characterized by flowers that are usually unisexual, with a perianth present in staminate flowers, and with pistillate flowers lacking a perianth but having accrescent bracteoles in fruit.
- Pistillate flowers have the same perianth but the number of parts is more variable; staminodes are well developed with or without a rudimentary anther.
early 18th century: from French périanthe, from modern Latin perianthium, from Greek peri 'around' + anthos 'flower'.
More definitions of perianthDefinition of perianth in:
- The US English dictionary