Definition of pericardium in English:
noun (plural pericardia /-dɪə/)Anatomy
The membrane enclosing the heart, consisting of an outer fibrous layer and an inner double layer of serous membrane.
- Reference to the pericardium, epicardium, myocardium, endocardium and valves, chordae, ventricular thicknesses, and aorta and major vessels may be included.
- With this patient, the images of the communication between the pericardium and the thoracic duct could be more clearly identified, due to improvements in computerizing techniques.
- The pericardial stage was used to suspend the pericardium and the phrenic nerve was preserved throughout its course.
- Example sentences
- After the lung and tumor are removed, a vascular pedicle of pericardial fat is loosely sutured to the bronchial stump.
- In the present series, edema, manifested locally as tissue swelling and systemically as pulmonary edema and pleural and pericardial effusions, was a prominent feature.
- These risks include bleeding, infection, hematoma, pneumothorax, pericardial effusion, myocardial infarction, stroke, and death.
Definition of pericardium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India