noun[mass noun] Anatomy
The sheath of connective tissue surrounding a bundle of muscle fibres.
More example sentences
- Muscle is really composed of not merely muscle cells, but also connective tissue - endomysium, perimysium, and epimysium.
- The bundle of fibers with its endomysium is surrounded by a more fibrous connective tissue sheath known as the perimysium.
- A thin layer of extracellular matrix (perimysium) separating fiber groups within the muscle appears in cross-section.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek peri- 'around' + mus 'muscle'.
- More example sentences
- A complete muscle consists of numerous fasciculi surrounded by a thick outer layer of connective tissue known as the perimysial septa.
Definition of perimysium in:
- The US English dictionary