Definition of periosteum in English:
noun (plural periostea ˌpɛrɪˈɒstɪə)Anatomy
A dense layer of vascular connective tissue enveloping the bones except at the surfaces of the joints.
- Holes and channels run through it, carrying blood vessels and nerves from the periosteum, the bone's membrane covering, to its inner parts.
- The resultant cellulitis is preseptal, or anterior to the orbital septum, involving a fibrous layer beginning at the periosteum of the skull and extending to the eyelids.
- The orbital septum, a connective tissue reflection of the periosteum, inserts into the eyelids and separates them from the orbits.
- Example sentences
- Intraoperatively there was no evidence of either dural or periosteal penetration.
- Patients with nonunions had a history of repetitive trauma, periosteal new bone formation, and complete obliteration of the medullary canal at the fracture site.
- A periosteal flap was harvested from the proximal medial subcutaneous border of the tibia.
Definition of periosteum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.