Definition of perissodactyl in English:
A mammal of the order Perissodactyla, such as a horse or rhinoceros.
- Both the perissodactyls and artiodactyls underwent a period of rapid evolution during the Miocene.
- The perissodactyls were once much more numerous.
- The number of teeth is variable, but in many species it is smaller than the number found in perissodactyls.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting perissodactyls.
- Most perissodactyl lineages went extinct in the late Eocene or Oligocene.
- The horse's single toe on each of its four feet is its most marked anatomical characteristic and makes it a perissodactyl or odd-toed ungulate.
- It actually says, "A solid-hoofed perissodactyl ungulate mammal" which may not be any more satisfactory, but is certainly more thorough.
Definition of perissodactyl in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan