Definition of perissodactyl in English:
A mammal of the order Perissodactyla, such as a horse or rhinoceros.
- Both the perissodactyls and artiodactyls underwent a period of rapid evolution during the Miocene.
- The perissodactyls were once much more numerous.
- The number of teeth is variable, but in many species it is smaller than the number found in perissodactyls.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting perissodactyls.
- Most perissodactyl lineages went extinct in the late Eocene or Oligocene.
- The horse's single toe on each of its four feet is its most marked anatomical characteristic and makes it a perissodactyl or odd-toed ungulate.
- It actually says, "A solid-hoofed perissodactyl ungulate mammal" which may not be any more satisfactory, but is certainly more thorough.
Definition of perissodactyl in:
- US English dictionary