Definition of peristyle in English:
1A row of columns surrounding a space within a building such as a court or internal garden or edging a veranda or porch.
- This form, upon which our modern atria are based, was enclosed on all sides by buildings with roofs sloping to a columned peristyle or walkway around a courtyard.
- The original building comprised a courtyard of enormous size with a full peristyle of eight columns on a side.
- The presence of gardens and especially of a peristyle make one think of a domus, or patrician residence.
1.1A space such as a court or porch that is surrounded or edged by a peristyle.
- One should perceive a bit further in the distance the colonnade forming the peristyle of the temple of Berecynthia.
- Portraits of famous Greek and Roman poets, orators, and statesmen filled libraries and peristyles.
- She often spent her days in the peristyle, reading or playing the harp.
Words that rhyme with peristyleacetyl • lifestyle • hostile
Definition of peristyle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan