noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Inflammation of the peritoneum, typically caused by bacterial infection either via the blood or after rupture of an abdominal organ.More example sentences
- Patients who have cirrhosis with ascites are prone to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.
- The diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis heralds advanced liver disease.
- Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis is a common complication of cirrhosis, with high mortality.
More definitions of peritonitisDefinition of peritonitis in:
- The US English dictionary