Definition of persimmon in English:
1An edible fruit that resembles a large tomato and has very sweet flesh.
- Among foods featured are morels, persimmons, cherries, game, wild blackberries, and asparagus.
- The produce includes strawberries, beans, avocado, persimmon, kiwifruit, oranges and other citrus fruit as well as flowers and plants.
- They taste a bit like persimmons, or maybe apricots - I wonder if they are available in the States.
2The tree which yields the persimmon, related to ebony.
- Genus Diospyros, family Ebenaceae: the evergreen American D. virginiana, with dark red fruit, and the Japanese persimmon (D. kaki), cultivated for its orange fruit
- Winter propagation of deciduous plants will be covered, and we'll discuss the interesting persimmon tree as well.
- Sitting by our persimmon tree last fall I watched a robin stretch out to peck off a piece of the bright, ripe fruit.
- Cold-tolerant persimmons are small, beautiful trees that yield small, sweet fruit harvested in the fall.
Early 17th century: alteration of Algonquian pessemmins.
Words that rhyme with persimmonRimmon
Definition of persimmon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.