noun[mass noun] Geology
The formation of rocks, especially igneous and metamorphic rocks.
- The petrogenesis of igneous rocks in the Albany-Fraser Province is not well constrained, although U-Pb zircon geochronology establishes that most granitic protoliths were not tectonically reworked Yilgarn Craton.
- Petrogenesis Igneous petrogenesis is the process or set of processes by which igneous rocks are formed.
- The petrogenesis and tectonic setting of the supersuite, and cogenetic felsic volcanic rocks, has been discussed in some detail by Griffin et al..
- Example sentences
- The revised age for the Jozini Formation rhyolites is also of significance for petrogenetic models proposed for the Karoo silicic magmatism.
- As for so many cases in the Earth sciences, the igneous geologist has to work back in time using all available field, geochemical, and experimental data to construct a viable petrogenetic history for any particularly igneous rock.
- The Sogneskollen Granitic Complex is Rb-poor while Sr, Ba and NaO show rather large abundances; these have important petrogenetic implications if they represent the magmatic concentrations.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: petro|gen¦esis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.