noun[mass noun] British
1A light fuel oil that is obtained by distilling petroleum and used in internal combustion engines: [as modifier]: petrol fumes
More example sentences
- The price of petrol, diesel and kerosene has gone up four times since February.
- Higher oil prices have added to the cost of petrol, diesel, kerosene and gas as well as transport.
- Tar is soluble in fossil fuels like diesel and petrol and oil spill loosens the road surface and potholes begin to form.
2 (also petrol blue) A shade of greenish or greyish blue.
- Harmer sells a range of contemporary pendant lighting, including the Icon glass dome light shades, in colours from petrol blue to cardinal red, priced £109.
- The petrol blue salwar kameez she is wearing here cost 3000-the price was only kept below 5000 because he has a team of in-house embroiderers in India.
- The wash is equally bright and clean with light petrol notes among the apricot and apple.
Words that rhyme with petrolpetrel
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pet¦rol
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.