Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of pfft in English:
Used to represent a dull abrupt sound as of a slight impact or explosion.
- But if you think you're going to get off that easy - pfft!
- I'm not even positive that it's tea, but it's herbal and comes in bags so pfft!
- I haven't yet… haven't even gotten though one chapter yet. Pfft… might email that tutorial ethics guy and ask him what chapters we're supposed to read.
- informal Fail to work properly or at all.Example sentences
- Sometimes I think people get the wrong impression of me: that I seem however on first impression, but when they date me or once they get to know me, it all goes pfft.
- I gradually progressed to solid state, but I enjoyed the valve era more, at least with valves you had time to switch it off before the thing went PFFT!
- So, our Internet connection just went pfft (we had DSL), and I'm not sure how long it'll take to get fixed, but meanwhile we have no Internet at home.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.