Definition of phagocyte in English:
A type of cell within the body capable of engulfing and absorbing bacteria and other small cells and particles.
- Histologic studies have shown polymetric birefringent particles surrounded by mononuclear phagocytes and multinucleated foreign body giant cells.
- Fc receptors mediate various effects on immune cells, including proliferation of B cells and phagocytosis by phagocytes.
- Following IVIG therapy in patients with ITP, platelet counts generally rise, apparently by Fc receptor blockade of splenic phagocytes and other reticuloendothelial cells.
- Example sentences
- Neutrophils and monocytes are the most phagocytic of the white blood cells; they ingest foreign particles, bacteria, and degenerating cells and cell fragments whether or not they can digest them.
- Products of complement activation cause smooth muscle contraction and increased vascular permeability and induce degranulation of phagocytic cells, mast cells, and basophils.
- Finally, we determined whether PPAR [gamma] activation increased CD36 expression by human AMs, and consequently augmented their phagocytic capacity for apoptotic neutrophils.
Definition of phagocyte in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan