Definition of phallocracy in English:
noun (plural phallocracies)
A society or system which is dominated by men and in which the male sex is thought superior.
- It is worth checking out Eva Keuls' work on female ritual resistance to the phallocracy back in Ancient Greece.
- Dealing with the end of the Periclean age, specifically in and around 415 BCE, Keuls charts the 'phallocracy' underlying Athenian society.
- Feminists imply that due to phallocracy rape was never seriously punished before they began to intervene.
- Example sentences
- The convergence of female violence against men and resistance to heterosexuality ‘draws one toward the place where meaning collapses’: this is the phallocratic meaning of woman.
- While this work is critical of a phallocratic system, its reliance on Freudian theory makes it unwillingly complicit in the reproduction of the categories of heterosexuality that are foundational to this system.
- The film virtually absolves Hamlet of his ensuing phallocratic tyranny toward Ophelia, for this tyranny is greatly mitigated by the fact that Ophelia has wounded him in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.
Definition of phallocracy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan