noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A crystalline hydrocarbon present in coal tar.
- A tricyclic compound: chemical formula: C14H10
More example sentences
- The organic compound phenanthrene can be precipitated from an ethanolic solution by the addition of water.
- Fujiwara repeated uptake and release experiments with both pyrene and phenanthrene, whose molecules are smaller than those of cholestane, with similar results.
- The Cornell team worked with sand contaminated with phenanthrene, a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon typically found in coal tar.
Definition of phenanthrene in:
- The US English dictionary