Definition of phenology in English:
The study of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena, especially in relation to climate and plant and animal life.
- Flowering phenology is mainly under genetic control, implying that a detailed study of flowering phenology must consider plants at the individual level.
- As a result of this delayed phenology, the natural climatic conditions the plants experienced may have selected for early flowering regardless of competition treatment.
- Other investigations suggest a fundamental role for plant phenology in the population dynamics of oak herbivores.
- Example sentences
- We used a multitemporal series of three satellite images, taken during similar phenological periods, to measure current habitats as well as determine components of habitat change.
- We distinguish between trophic (growth related) and phenological (development and differentiation related) processes.
- Reich and Borchert showed that, in seasonal tropical environments, the periodicity of plant phenological events is caused both by their endogenous rhythm and by seasonal climatic changes.
Definition of phenology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan