noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An amino acid widely distributed in plant proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C6H5CH2CH(NH2)COOH
- Trypsin favors basic residues like lysine and arginine; chymotrypsin favors aromatic residues like phenylalanine, tyrosine, and tryptophan.
- Like its amino-acid sister phenylalanine, tyrosine is a key nutrient that your body can use to restock NE stores depleted by ephedrine.
- The amino acids tyrosine and phenylalanine are the building materials for catecholamines, which are used as source material for both neurotransmitters and for hormones.
More definitions of phenylalanineDefinition of phenylalanine in:
- The US English dictionary